Friday, November 13, 2009

The Dare

This hit me the most from the book, "If your spouse offends you do you quickly retaliate? (yes) Do you find that anger is your emotional default when treated unfairly? (yes) If so you are spreading poison rather than medicine." Ouch. That's me. Anger is more than my emotional default.... it can be my reaction to anything that doesn't go how I want it to in our relationship. Is my 'anger' making the world a better place? Not in my marriage. It is injecting poison into Trevor's veins.

I succeeded in not saying anything negative yesterday. But with that, I saw my manipulative ways become creative. Suggestive. Not negative, but seemingly curious. Wow, maybe I really am only thinking about ME.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ladies,
    (I am posting for the very first time in my life, so I hope that I did it correctly!!!)

    I didn't give an into., so I will do a quick one. My name is Mollie and I have been married to Brian for 4 years now. I am still amazed that it has ONLY been 4 years! We have two children(a 2 year old and an 8 month old) and a dog. I have known my husband for a long time and we dated for 2 years before we married. I am excited, yet scared to embark on this journey as I know there are many things I need to change about myself. I have even picked up this book at Target before, opened it, read one challenge, antd put it back on the shelf. I said, "Nope, not ready." How selfish is that? So, I am late at bringing my into, but I will tell you just a little about my first two days.

    The first day was okay. I, too, had to really ask myself if it was negative (before I said it)about everything that came out of my mouth! I realized that I am more negative than I thought. I think most of us know this by now.

    However, I was very excited about today. Being kind is not too difficult for me, but apparently it is with my husband. SO, my kindness was to ask him early in the morning (kids still sleeping), how I can be more "teachable." It was of course, fine, until I heard something I didn't like, and then we were arguing about money, our fears, our let downs, etc. HELLO! COMPLETE backfire. So....we let it cool. He went to work in the afternoon, and I called just to say sorry, and that I was thinking of him. He was sorry also and there we are for today.

    Looking forward to starting again tomorrow. I knew this would be hard. Maybe I knew in some way I needed to address my "being selfish" issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say intro--sorry!

    ReplyDelete